April’s NAME 50th Anniversary monthly kit was a toy house. Offered by Dia Crissy Baum. I just thought it was adorable. I put it aside because I was busy on other things. Then when I was doing some organizing I came across it and added it to my NAME Logo House box. I thought it might look good there. Sure enough it pleaded to be built once that house was finished.
These types of dollhouses are for children to play with it. However the purpose of this was to learn how to run a household not just play.
This first thing to do is paint the pieces. I painted it to match the logo as much as possible hence the green roof and blue on the stones.
A. Straight painting the two front panels.
B. The roof pieces painted.
C. Adding blue to the white squares to look like blocks.
D. Final with a satin coat of varnish.
What got me to paint with the satin varnish on the front was the sides. I wasn’t thinking about consistency. However that is a better plan.
The sides have text on them and this time I followed directions. I applied the base color and added a coat of varnish. Let that dry. Then painted the letters black. Quickly I wiped away the black from the base color. It was great. For more stubborn stain, a wet paper towel was sufficient.
Here is how it looked going through the process for the yellow.
I assembled the house per instructions. However I cut my wallpaper too high.
My perfectionist nature would not allow me to have a floor too high. To fix it, I glued the floor where I wanted (aligned with exterior design) and then carefully used my sharp craft knife to trim away the excess.
I decided to use silk ribbon instead. Only because I knew it would not fray. After seeing these pictures I question if it was the best choice. I don’t like how much grain/weave can be seen. I will leave it rather than dealing with changing.
After adding hinges I was touching up several places. I had to decide whether the side would be all red or match the front. I decided all red, even the hinge.
I considered having black edges and even started that way with the roof. Ultimately only the chimneys are black on the sides and then outlined the red bay window and bricks of the chimneys. The parts that extend above the cabinet are painted as well but leaving the door white.
All finished with the tiny dollhouse.
Here it is inside my 1:48 scale NAME Logo House. This is when I realized what scale it was. It is around 1:288 scale. Not micro which I consider to be 1:144 scale, but smaller.
Included in the kit is a sheet of furniture to make. My initial response was “No way”. It took me several evenings to finish the tiny house because how detailed the painting. By the several evenings later, I was like “Why not?” Besides, doing this helps me procrastinate on another project.
Per instructions we are to paint or stain the pieces while still in the motherboard. I tested some alcohol marker on the sides and found one that would be a dark wood. I just do all them same color for continuity.
You can see where I tested my markers on the right bottom corner.
I started building the bed first. I wanted red bedding but all I have that I will use is red silk ribbon. I use it even though it doesn’t go all the way around. But if I didn’t tell that, few would know. I tell it because it worked. The bed can only go sideways so the side left uncovered is going against the wall. I also assembled the chest.
To make the decorations stand out, I use gold paint to edge and add to handles.
These two pieces take up the top floor.
Table, bench and chair get the same treatment with the gold. The chair I added yellow silk ribbon for a cushion. I tried some lace bits but they were too big.
I did like using the laser cut card stock because for the chair it was easy to shape the arms.
I have one more piece of furniture, a wood chest. It doesn’t fit in the top floor. I plan to use it beside the house as extra toy or maybe elsewhere.
Comments always welcome.
If you enjoy my website, please consider making a donation via PayPal.me/minismallpackages23. Thank you!