Gerda wanted a potting shed, I wanted to make her one. One day we saw one made in a pot. We agreed it was too clever. My absolute favorite miniature project to make is one inside an everyday object.
This project was completed in 2002 using mostly swaps from the first QC – Quarter Connection Online Convention.
To make the pot sit exactly where I wanted in the saucer I used paper mache. The landscaping was done using foam purchased from a train store. These products come in different colors and texture from fine powder to clumps that can be torn apart.
The floor and steps were made using eggshells carefully glued to fit together. The floor and step structure is made using foam core board. It was not as easy as I thought it would be because eggs are not flat.
One tip I would give is to paint the egg shell first. Dab different shades all over. After it is dry, then do the cracking. Not only would that be more true to life, it will lots easier. Now fitting them together, well, that will take some time. But I am in love with how it looks.
Another tip is that after working with paper mache, especially in this project, I should have wiped the pot. I see some spots of grey on the terra cotta that could have been wiped away while still wet. They wouldn’t stand out if the pot was wet, so wiping intentionally to clean up, would be good idea.
In order to get the swaps shown, I made 125 brass butterfly garden decorations. In return I got 124 swap items. Some of same thing, but most were different. That was the year we got lots of rugs (printie rugs).