Canoe Tin

My parents collect canoes. They had some small mini tins printed with a canoe scene. They also had some small canoe charms. I decided that I would make them a scene in the tin using one of the charms.


How I made this project

The first charm is too tall to use when the tin is closed if there is any elevation to the bottom. I am thinking I will use the large area for the water area and the lid as a backdrop. I asked them if they have anything smaller. They do and it is a cool charm in that the paddler’s arm moves. Since the arm moves, I want to be sure it functions that way and my idea is to make it move from the outside so the viewer doesn’t have to reach into the scene.

I talk about this with my husband and we agree that I should be able to attach a wire to the end of the paddle that will make it move. The first time we attach a wire using solder we realize that there needs to be a second pivot to this set up. I try bending the soldered wire and it comes off. Although the solder seems to hold, it doesn’t hold well enough for too much manipulation. After repeated application of bent wires, I finally am able to solder a ring to the back of the paddle that clears the canoe properly.

Next I add a second wire that is looped through the ring. Previously I had drilled a hole in the side of the tin for the second wire to go out. Once I am satisfied with the alignment of the wires I super-glue the canoe into place.

Celluclay used for the river bottom

In this second photo, I have added more paper machie to protect the mechanism from the resin that I will pour to make the water of the scene. To maintain an open area for the second wire, I used a cut apart straw to cover the wire. I will trim the outside wire to make a pull of some sort.

this shows the opening made for the paddle and connector
Indian and canoe after painting
painting the sky and adding color to the river bottom

I have painted the canoe charm and also retouched the rest of the tin. I did have to unhinge the paper attached to the lid so I could paint all of the charm. I was able to glue it back with no problems.

The landscaping added and resign poured. All Done. They loved it!

Here’s a short video of this little tin