Antiques Galore

Some swaps found a home in this matchbox shop.

armoire with quilts I made for a microminis swap in 2005
The blue and white bed was made by Rosa from Sweden, the dining room set was maybe a special gift, not sure who it was from.  The two potted plants – on the table and piano – and also the shrubs by the door were from Carol Atchley. The piano was from Anita Nary Hayes.  The black hutch was a painted metal mini.
Part of the back was intentionally left uncovered.
The barrel cactus in floor pot that was from Laura Miller.
The two chaise loungers and the sun umbrella were from Virginia Paton.
From Laura Miller – refrigerator and stove, Linda Austin swapped the shelf with two plates, the brown shelf unit was from Marjon de Haas, the small table with the blue and white planter was from Joan Baker, the quilts and the armoire of quilts was by Preble.
In back section of the shop was a green dressed bed from Linda Austin, Lauren Rein swapped the round glass topped table, the dresser and pink bed from Alison “Ali” Brand.  The quilts also made by Preble – printed on cloth.

I added a piece of foam core to the bottom to fit inside the cover. This way the project won’t slip around. To see the interiors in the double drawers, one does need to remove the cover.

How I Made This Project

First this project uses two small cardboard matchboxes.  I combined them by cutting portions off.  I choose to combine them rather than have two separate for additional sturdiness.

While the boxes were cut open, I also cut out my door and windows.  Even if not going to change the size of the box, it works best to open the box flat and then glue back together later. However one can cut the openings with it folded in half. To determine where to cut them out, I drew on the box and measured out equal shapes and distance apart.
To add “glass” I used a piece of plastic from packaging.

The glass gets glued to the outside of the box.
Meanwhile I glued the two drawers together back to back.  I added flooring to the bottoms.  The flooring was printed from my computer. A piece of wood was cut to apply the flooring too and this helps with structure.
Then a designed outer walls and a sign on my computer and printed that out.
This was added to the end of the two drawers and also wrapped around the front and end of the box.  I wanted to keep a portion of the matchbox showing.

beams made from matchsticks

To add further stability to the box as the folds made it flexible, I added the beams to the roof.  Gluing it down to the base also helped with stability.

I debated about having a door in between the two rooms (drawers), but decided I didn’t want to waste the wall space.  Matchboxes are narrow so I am not realistic with the area shown, so having  door inside wasn’t needed.

I added tiny wood trim painted white inside the door and window openings to finish it.

Paint was added to the foundation. Plus steps made from wood.

Then swaps were added and it was done.

After years of not having a proper cover due to it’s height, I finally have a it in a solid display case.

new cover needed extra base to fill gap

Happy miniaturing!


If you enjoy my website, please consider making a small donation via Thank you!